Sunday, September 25, 2011

Why isn't it Fall Yet?

At random points during my day, I think "I should blog about this" and then never actually end up doing it....and another month passes.  Well September has been pretty good.  Earth, Wind, and Fire's hit 'September' is always creeping its way into my head during showers and car rides.  Fall is my favorite season by far.  The crisp weather, the start of school, changing leaves, a reprieve from the sweltering Southern summer, I love it all.  Right now I am missing having a real Fall in Colorado.  Here in Carolina, despite the fact it has been overcast & rainy for well over a week, it is still hot.  I can't imagine partaking in my seasonal favorite pumpkin spice latte when it is 77 degrees outside. Nope, no way.  I did however take the opportunity this morning before the 70 degree mark was passed as I was coming home from a weekend of house/dog/teenager sitting.  September also means my little brother's birthday; he turned the big 2-3 this year.  That actually made me feel really old. Although I am only 18 months older, I don't like being reminded that I am rapidly approaching a quarter century of life and am in no way where I thought I would be. On well, such is life, right?  I know that makes everyone a day over 25 scoff at me and say something like "That is so young!"  Whatever, you know you felt the same way at my age!  Enough griping, here are the goods:

1.  35-across: Lady of the night. Wow, really? I admit I giggled. shame on me. Thanks Observer.



2.  Introducing...GROWLERS on Folly Beach! Yipee!! I finally have a use here for my O'Dell growler that has gone empty way too long since Growler Fridays were celebrated in Fort Collins.  Too bad a fill at 'Bert's market' runs upwards and over $20. Thanks for spoiling me BIG TIME, Colorado. I'll take the $6.50 fill at New Belgium again, please and thank you.  Also, in South Carolina they 'pressurize' the caps on and add a plastic seal.  Huh? You weird Southern law makers...



3.  To supplement my income, I nanny in the afternoons.  As someone who really hasn't been around people younger than teenagers probably since I was 18, this has been a new and surprisingly rewarding experience.  The kids make me laugh and say some pretty insightful stuff sometimes.  One of the kids drew this portrait, and at first I thought it was funny because Jesus is depicted as a jellyfish.  I then thought about the Talladega Nights conversation between Ricky Bobby and Cal Naughton Jr. on how they like to 'picture' Jesus.  Everything from "tiny 8 pound 6 ounce newborn infant Jesus" to "Jesus in a tuxedo t-shirt" (see Prayer to Baby Jesus).  I guess we all have our own interpretation of Jesus.  



4.  Southern Art. Old truck, old dog, all on old metal. Cool find at Sleepy Poet, which features the wonderful Jazzy Poet.



5.  They sell growlers IN THE Beer/Wine STORE in NC. Whoaaaa. Jade and I would be in A LOT of trouble.
  

6.  I have always thought the family stick figure stickers are creepy and weird.  Who wants any rando driving around that they have two daughters at home and only a guard cat, probably named miss kitty?  Maybe I've watched too much crime centered television, but I wouldn't want to be giving that kind of information to everyone on the road. I also always wondered what happens when someone is no longer in that happy stick figure family? Well I found my answer, ouch.



7.  I have no idea why SportSouth would be broadcasting the Rocky Mountain Showdown here, but I was SO thankful.  Unfortunately, it was on at the same time as the Clemson game, so I had to watch it alone in my cousin's 'lounge.'  After an awesome start, the Rams couldn't keep it together, and let those dirty trust fund hippies from Boulda escape with the W.  After this weekend, the Rams are 3-1. Go Rammies!

 

 8.  There are a lot of trails like this around my neighborhood.  While this stretch is flat, the majority are actually really hilly.  Much more hilly than my former mountain homes...go figure.



I follow several blogs, and noticed how they all write pretty short entries several times a week.  This is the direction I want to take with my blog.  It has also been suggested to me that I start a blog solely dedicated to topics in science that interest me.  While I think this would be exciting, and perhaps get me more exposure in my field (it feels weird saying my field...), if I can't even get on the ball with this personal blog, can I make myself do a science one?  I should give it a try- it will give my family a break from my random animal facts and figures (Did you know that if fishing continues at the current rate, there will be no edible seafood when I am 50?!) and maybe even get me some jobs leads or something.

In the words of Harry, age 4:
"Try, Try, Try. That's my motto"

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment